By Vibrant Life Magazine
Potatoes to full a 9” x 13” baking dish (approximately 5 large baking potatoes or 10 smaller ones.
- 2 1⁄2 C. water
- 3⁄4 C raw cashews
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly sliced (The onion adds such great flavor and you don’t even know it is there.)
- 2 tsp. salt or less
- Shredded vegan cheddar - style cheese (Daiya brand works well).
While preparing the potatoes and onion let the raw cashews soak in one cup of the water to soften.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Rinse and peel potatoes. Slice potatoes and onion. Lightly grease baking dish. Cover bottom of dish with half of the potatoes. Add sliced onion. Cover with remaining potatoes.
3. Blend cashew with one cup of water and blend 2-3 minutes until very smooth and creamy. NO LUMPS. It should feel smooth when rubbed between your fingers. If having difficulty blending, slowly add just a bit more of the water until it blends smoothly. Once you have reached desired consistency, slowly add remainder of water and salt and blend a little longer to dissolve the salt.
4. Pour cashew mixture over potatoes and dot with a little margarine. Sprinkle with paprika and bake covered for 1 hour. Potatoes are done when knife inserted in the middle meets no resistance.
5. Uncover and top lightly with the shredded cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes or so, until cheese is melted.