By Mary Bernt
- 1⁄2 large red onion, diced
- 2 large garlic, minced or use a garlic press
- 1⁄4 C. fresh basil, chopped
- 2 C. water
- 2- 14 oz. cans Del Monte Basil, Garlic, Oregano Diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 C. Mary Bernt chicken seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 Tbs. maple syrup
- 1/3 C. hulled barley (cook ahead and add after blending the soup base)
Water sauté the onion and garlic
Add remaining ingredients except barley and simmer for 10 min.
Use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients
Add the cooked barley
I usually double this soup so I have it for more than one meal.