Creamy Potato Chowder
By Michelle Jones, "Full Plate Diet"
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 2 large carrots diced small
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons thyme dried
- 3 cups red potatoes diced
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 14-oz can great northern beans rinsed and drained
- 5 cups cashew milk unsweetened or less if you like it thicker (or other unsweetened non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup green beans snapped into 1 inch pieces
1. Steam 2 cups of cauliflower florets for 5 minutes, and set aside.
2. Turn stovetop to medium heat. Add celery, carrots, corn, bell pepper, green beans, onion, olive oil and thyme to pot. Cover and sauté until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. If needed, add 1/4 cup water to keep vegetables from sticking.
3. While veggies are cooking, drain cauliflower and transfer to blender. Add 1.5 cups cashew milk, great northern beans, 1/4t salt and 1/4t black pepper. Blend until smooth, and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
4. Remove lid from saucepan and stir veggies. Add potatoes, and flour, and cook another 2 minutes.
5. Add "cream" from blender to the saucepan and mix well. Add remaining ingredients, and cook for another 20 minutes--until potatoes are tender. If you want the soup thicker just add less milk.