(Makes 3 cups)
This gravy is delicious with mashed or baked potatoes. It’s rich and flavorful even without the typical processed ingredients found in vegan gravies, such as soy sauce, non-dairy butter, flour, and cornstarch.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup raw unsalted cashews (soak in the water while prepping the other ingred.)
- 6 medium white or brown (cremini) mushrooms (6 ounces)
- 11⁄2 cups chopped yellow onion (1⁄2 of a large onion)
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (dried) McKays
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp McKays Beef seasoning
Place the water and cashews into a blender, and set aside.
In a medium saucepan on high heat, add 1 tablespoon of water, and when it starts to sputter, add the mushrooms, onion, carrot, and celery. Cook stirring for about 3 minutes until the vegetables soften, adding a little water as needed to prevent sticking. Add the garlic and poultry seasoning, and continue stirring for another 2 minutes (adding water as needed).
Add the cooked vegetables to the blender of water and cashews, and blend until smooth. Return the gravy to the saucepan (on medium heat) and stir briefly just to reheat and thicken, grinding a bit of black pepper in at the end. Serve immediately.