Mushroom Cashew Gravy
(Yields 2 ½ Cups )
- 1 C. finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbs. shallot or one small minced
- 1 Tbs. garlic, minced or crushed
- 1-8 oz. box sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbs. low sodium soy sauce or Tamari
- ¾ C raw cashews
- 1 ¼ C water
- 1 tsp. Herbes De Provence
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 pinches ground pepper
- 1 Tbs. McKays Beef seasoning
Soak the cashews in the water to soften while preparing the other ingredients. This helps it blend smoother.
Water sauté onion, shallot and garlic until slightly caramelized. Add water to keep from sticking.
Then add mushrooms and soy sauce and continue to sauté till mushrooms have cooked down.
In a blender blend the cashews and water and McKays beef seasoning, salt, and pepper till very smooth.
After blending add the Herbes De Provence. Add directly to the mushroom mix in the pan and heat to thicken, stirring often.
Sometimes I take some of the sautéed mushroom mix and blend it with the cashew mix then add it all to the pan to heat and thicken.
Stores in an air tight container for 3-4 days.