By Mark Anthony
- 3 C. diced potatoes, peeled
- 2 C. diced carrots, peeled
- 1⁄2 C. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄2 C water (reserved from the vegetables)
- 1⁄4 C olive oil
- 2 Tbs. chicken style seasoning (Better Than Bouillion or McKays)
- 1 Tbs. garlic
- 1 Tbs. onion powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice (optional)
Boil the potatoes and carrots until very tender. Drain the veggies, reserving the water, and place veggies in a blender or food processor with all the remaining ingredients. Blend on high for 1 minute, scrape the sides and blend for another minute on high. You will have creamy velvety cheese sauce. Add additional reserved veggie water as needed. A powerful blender, like a Vitamix or Blendtec, makes the smoothest sauce.
This base recipe is perfect for nachos, haystacks or any creations needing cheese, such as au gratin potatoes, mac and cheese or stuffed spuds. You can also chill and reuse later. When re-heated, it will again become creamy.
For variety, add salsa or herbs. It also works as a fantastic thickener for potato or broccoli soups.