Southwest Black Bean Patties / Burgers
Modified from Mary Bernt and Rip Esselstyn
- 1 C. black beans - rinsed and drained
- 1-14 oz can tomatoes - Zesty Mild Chili flavor
- 1 clove garlic - pressed
- 2 green onions - chopped
- 1 C. finely chopped carrots or grated
- 1 C. cilantro - chopped
- 1 tsp. taco/Mexican seasoning
- 1 tsp. onion pwd. (granulated)
- 1 tsp. garlic pwd. (granulated)
- 1⁄2 tsp. each Herbamare (or seasoned salt), cumin and dry garlic bits
Process in a food processor. Place in a bowl and mix in 2 C. quick oats and mix well.
Make a patty by filling a 1/3 C measuring cup. Tap out on to your hand and press out slightly. Place in a non-stick skillet and on medium heat (no oil) sauté for 5 min on each side till golden brown. Makes about 13 patties that freeze well.
To serve as a patty place some La Victoria mild chunky salsa on the plate, place patty on top then top the patty with guacamole. Serve with rice. This can be served as a burger with guacamole, lettuce, tomato, salsa, etc.