Pesto (Tofu & Spinach)
- 2 C fresh basil (Trader Joes sells a 4 oz. box which equals 4 Cups)
- 1 C spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 C pecans, walnuts or pine nuts depending on your taste
- 1⁄2 box (12.3 oz size) silken lite, firm, shelf stable Tofu (Mori-Nu brand is good)
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 13.25 oz box penne whole grain pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 C broccoli florets steamed to fold in at the end
In a blender add all ingredients except broccoli and pasta and blend till very smooth. Place in a sauce pan and warm through to keep basil from turning brown. Fold into pasta with broccoli and serve.
I use the left over tofu to make 1⁄2 recipe Vegan Ranch Dressing, or put into a fruit smoothie. This tofu is great because the unopened boxes can be kept in the cupboard.