By Robyne Gray
- 1 lb. frozen chic-kette roll by Worthington (Thaw and break up into pieces)
- 1 yellow, red & green pepper each-sliced (or I use Trader Joes frozen red, yellow & green bell peppers-1lb. bag, it’s usually cheaper.)
- 1 large onion-chopped
- 4 stalks green onion-chopped
- 4 cloves garlic-minced or put through a garlic press
- 1 Tbs. mild curry pwd.
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup - (See vegan substitute recipe below) Mushroom soup has dairy.
- 1⁄2 can low fat coconut milk - (Trader Joes) you can freeze the remainder
- 1 1⁄2 Cups water (omit if making a Vegan mushroom soup substitute)
Saute onions, peppers and garlic till soft and remove from fry pan into a lg. casserole dish. Then add curry pwd. to frying pan with a little oil to make a paste and fry a minute then add the mushroom soup and blend with water and coconut milk slowly till smooth. Place in the chic- ketts and mix well and simmer 5 minutes then empty into the cass. Dish and mix with the onions and peppers. Bake at 350 degrees till bubbly.
Instead of the Chic-kette roll by Worthington you can use a frozen chicken product by Quorn.
In food processor fitted with chopping blade, combine 2 cups cilantro leaves (usually 1 bunch), 1 large onion-quartered, 2 cloves garlic-minced, 1 tsp salt: process until very finely chopped and well blended. In a large heavy saucepan, heat 3-4 Tbs. olive oil over medium heat. Add cilantro mixture and cook for 5 min. Stir in 4 Cups Brown rice (I like Trader Joes Jasmine brown rice the best) (or plain white rice) and cook for 1 min. Add 8 Cups water; heat to boiling and simmer for 45 min. (or 15-20 Min. if white rice). The cilantro mix will rise to the top. Do not stir the rice while cooking. Only check to see if the water is absorbed. Then stir in the cilantro mix that has risen to the top when done. Shake in some garlic salt to taste.
You can also serve plain rice for the curry dish too.
2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Substitute (with water)
- 2-4 oz. cans mushrooms stems and pieces and the liquid
- 2 3⁄4 C water
- 1⁄2 C raw cashews
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp each onion and garlic pwd.
- 1⁄2 C dry soy milk powder
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
Blend all ingred. except mushrooms till very smooth and creamy then add mushrooms and blend again till smooth. Pour into a sauce pan and thicken over heat, stirring often.