Hummus and Red Pepper Pita Triangles
Pita triangles stuffed with hummus, red pepper, carrots and leafy greens make a tasty, easy to prepare and nutritious brown bag lunch.
For the Hummus:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added or low sodium chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unhulled sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
For the Pita Triangles:
- 4 (100% whole grain) pitas, split in half crosswise
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, or lettuce
Blend hummus ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth and creamy. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water if needed to adjust consistency.
Spread pita halves with hummus and top with chopped red pepper, grated carrot, spinach and the other half of the pita. Cut into quarters.
Note: For a change of pace, make wraps using 100% whole grain tortillas.