Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
By Mary Bernt (altered by Robyne Gray)
For the potatoes:
- 1 1⁄2 C. white quinoa (or mix red and white) great source of protein
- 3 C water- no salt added
Bring water to a boil and add rinsed quinoa and cover and simmer for 20 min. Set aside and mix in with other ingredients at the end.
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1 med. carrot, diced
- 1 med. jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 14 oz, can low salt black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 oz. can Del Monte basil, garlic and oregano diced tomatoes or any brand name you like.
- 1⁄2 C chopped cilantro
- 1 C frozen corn
- 2 tsp. Herbamare ( by A. Vogel-an herb infused organic sea salt) or just salt
- 2 tsp. granulated onion
- 2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 2 tsp. Mexican or taco seasoning
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 C your favorite vegan cheese (Diaya brand is good)
- 8 red, orange, yellow or green peppers (large). Remove tops and seeds and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes until they have a more pail appearance. Drain.
- Your favorite pasta sauce
Water sauté onions, carrots and jalapeno pepper until tender. Add remaining ingredients except sauce and mix thoroughly to heat through.
Spoon filling into peppers. Place some spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a deep dish casserole and arrange stuffed peppers. Fill part way around the peppers with sauce. Cover with a lid or foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.