Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed With Walnut Dressing
By Jazzy Vegetarian
(Makes 5 - 6 Servings)
- 5 to 6 Portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 3 teaspoons tamari
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil, optional
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with un-bleached parchment paper. Rinse the portobello mushrooms briefly and pat dry with a clean dish towel, taking care not to break them. Place the mushrooms upside down on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle each mushroom with 1⁄2 teaspoon tamari.
Place the bread, walnut, Italian herbs, olive oil, garlic powder and walnuts onto a blender or food processor. Process until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Fill each mushroom with 1/6 of the walnut mixture, patting it down firmly.
Tent the mushrooms with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes longer, until the topping is crisp and the mushrooms are tender. Serve immediately.
Serve with Butternut Squash with roasted garlic, and Spinach with garbanzos and caramelized onions.