- 8 C. dry pinto beans - washed and soaked in water over night. Rinse again and cover with water in a large pot.
Add to the pot:
- 2 jalapeño peppers - deseeded and cut into 4ths
- 1 large green bell pepper - deseeded and cut into 4ths
- 4 garlic cloves-crushed
- 2 large onions-chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. taco seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. dry granular garlic bits
- Shake in some seasoning salt to taste (after cooking)
- 5 tsp. salt to be added after cooking or to taste.
Remember this is a lot of beans.
Cover and simmer for 2 hrs., then add salt and simmer for 45 min. more. Watch and add more water if it dries. When done remove the peppers. Mash the beans for refried and remove sauce water or add as needed.
The beans can be done in a lg. crock pot. You need to cut the recipe in half and cook for 8 hrs.
I like to put the beans in quart containers and freeze for later use.