By Robyne Gray
- 1C lentils, rinsed
- 2 Tbs. hulled barley, rinsed
- 2 1⁄2 C water
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 crushed or chopped garlic cloves
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 tsp granulated onion (Pwd.)
- 1⁄2 tsp McKays chicken seasoning (vegan)
- 3⁄4 tsp salt
- 1- 14oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 bunch chopped cilantro
Sauté onion & celery in a little olive oil till soft, or water sauté. Stir in the rest of the ingredients except garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
Add garlic and simmer for 15 min. more. Turn off heat and add the chopped cilantro. Serve as is or over brown rice.