Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo
Pinch of Yum
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 1 lb. uncooked whole grain or wheat fettuccine or linguini noodles
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 3 cups water (or vegetable broth-this gives a different flavor) - altered from original recipe. It originally called for veg. broth and changes the flavor.
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. granulated onion
- 2 tsp. McKays chicken seasoning (Added to original recipe)
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tbs. soy creamer(instead of real cream) - altered from original recipe
- 1 cup starchy boiling water from pasta pot
1. Chop the cauliflower. Bring the water to a boil over medium high heat and add cauliflower. Cook until cauliflower is soft, about 15 minutes. In my experience, the longer you cook it, the smoother the sauce will be. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
2. As the garlic and cauliflower are cooking, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the fettuccine according to directions on package, reserving some of the starchy water to add to the sauce later if needed.
3. Transfer cauliflower to a blender with about 1 cups of the water. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender. Add the sautéed garlic, salt, and black pepper and puree until very smooth, about 5 minutes. Once the mixture is moving, stream the olive oil into the blender. Add more broth or water if the mixture is too thick to move through the blender. You want it to turn through the blender easily. When puree is very smooth, transfer back to the butter/garlic skillet.
4. Add the cream and cook over low heat. Add the starchy pasta water if needed (or regular water if you're not making pasta) and keep warm until ready to serve. Combine noodles and sauce in a large pot or skillet and serve immediately.
- 286 Calories
- 4g Fat
- 50g Carbs
- 9g Protein