Flax & Rice Croquette
By Mary Bernt (Makes 12)
Sauce Part One:
- 3⁄4 C water
- 6 Tbs. ground flax seed
- 1 sm. Onion diced and caramelized
- 4 C cooked brown jasmine or basmati rice
- 3 Tbs. Mary Bernt Chicken Seasoning
- 1⁄2 C. ground walnuts
- 1 lb. firm tofu, drained
- 2 tsp. garlic powder (or granulated)
- 2 tsp. onion powder (or granulated)
- 1⁄4 C. quick oats
- 2 Tbs. soy milk
- 1 Tbs. pizza seasoning (found in the spice bins at Winco) or Spicy Spagetti seasoning found at Sam’s club-14 oz. jar
1. Mix water and flax in a sauce pan. Bring water to a boil whisking thoroughly while boiling for approx. 1 minute till it thickens.
2. Dice onions, and place them in a frying pan (do not use any oil or cooking spray). Cook until browned. Add a little water if needed to keep from sticking.
3. Combine all ingred. in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Use a potato masher, fork or your hands to crush up the tofu.
4. Form into patties by placing mixture into a 1⁄2 C. measuring cup- packed tight. Then tap onto a large cookie sheet that is lined with a 16 inch x 12 inch Silpat(found at Bed, Bath and Beyond) and press slightly to form a patty. You may need to rinse the measuring cup with water occasionally so patty releases easily.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. Turn carefully and bake an additional 10 minutes.
7. Cool if storing. If freezing place waxed paper between patties if stacking so they do not stick together.
8. These taste very good with tartar sauce.