Oatmeal Banana Muffins
By Robyne Gray
- 1/4 C shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 1⁄4 C oatmeal (not quick or instant)
- 3⁄4 C oat bran (Trader Joe’s)
- 1⁄2 C whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 C chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 C maple syrup ( or 1/4 tsp. Stevia)
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 3⁄4 C soy or almond milk
- 6 Tbs water blended with 2 Tbs. flax meal (or 1⁄2 cup of soft tofu blended up in the soy milk before adding to the mix) I use a “Smart Stick” hand blender by Cuisinart to mix the flax and water to an egg-like consistency. You could also use a wisk and beat it for a minute or so till it starts to thicken.
- 3 ripe bananas
Puree bananas then add wet ingred., mix then add dry ingred. Mix and add to 12 muffin tins. I use the non stick tins and then spray with Pam slightly. Do not use muffin paper. There is no oil in these muffins so they can stick. Mound up high above the rim. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 min. till golden on top. Remove from oven and let sit in the tins for about 5 min. then twist to remove. If you take them out too soon they tend to stick. Remove and cool on a rack.
These freeze well to take out as needed.
About 3 grams of fiber per muffin.
* Be sure to fill a zip lock bag with additional dry ingredients for future use.